View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Black Magic Woman (Kanoe) 

Post Black Magic Woman (Kanoe)
Hone.

A word with so many meanings. So rarely 'reclaim that which was taken away.'

Hero.

A word that meant anything to anyone, and less than nothing to whomever it would be applied to.

Whether she should do what she was about to or not was a question that preyed uneasily upon Kite's mind, and that hesitation brought one hand up to stroke the stone at her throat, and the cloth that held it there. This... this might be wrong, but it was definitely right. It was only a matter of time, with such a thing as a 'hero' being planned, and who was planning it, before if Kite and her owner were still upon the island, that she absolutely had to be as capable of possible of... influencing events however she might be instructed. It was an unpleasant thought, mostly because she could not think it. She had no idea even if it would come while she was there to see it, let alone what role she would fulfill in it if it did. But such things were no longer hers. And Kite was glad of it. Plenty would look down on her if they knew the comfort she took in giving her life over to another, but that was, after all, their problem, not hers.

Which brought Kite to finally decide, and leave the common room to approach the dormitory of Miss Kanoe Shade, gloved hand knocking politely upon the door.

Special Agent Delivery - An intensely customizible package

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:53 am
Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: Black Magic Woman (Kanoe)
Years of being on this island had taken its toll on Kanoe. Being taken and abused by many monsters and eventually tamed by one was only made worse when it happened to her lover as well. Her Mistress took Clarice away and so did that Head Girl. After losing so much, she really only sought solitude which unfortunately was not possible with this roommate she was stuck with. Thinking of her roommate left her mind cloudy and her world unclear. She really needed to just get away from everything. But sadly, that was just not possibly on this island ever.

A knock at her door made the witch look up from what she was working on. Before her on the table was a large tome along with several journals and notepads covered in notes and translations. The raven haired woman wore nothing but a flowing black robe with a low v cut that revealed her luscious cleavage. Her body was one that many yearned and looked at with envy but no one knew that part of her beauty was due to the creatures on this island.

Sighing softly, the witch closed her book and rose to her feet. The room was dimly lit by only a few candles on the table. Despite what may lurk there, Kanoe felt safer in the dark. She was uncertain who was coming to see her. Most of her past apprentices and partners had long since left or disappeared. It could be Camryn, that would be pleasant at least.

She opened the door slightly, staring at who came to see her this time. The woman outside looked human, that was a good sign... usually. "Yes?" she said softly.

My Monster: Vespira
My ADD: Alexandra

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:12 am

Kite looked Kanoe up and down as the door cracked open, Kite hadn't known what to expect, but for Miss Shade's appearance to so precisely fit the rumours had not been it. And her eyes. Yes, there were all too many invisible scars to be seen there. "i apologize if i am interrupting anything, Miss Shade. i am Kite. i don't believe we've met, but rumour suggests that you might be able to help me with a... difficult issue." Perhaps not the most comforting thing to hear from anyone quite so laden with visible scars, but some things should not be spoken of too openly.

"May i come in?"

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:23 am
Profile YIM WWW

The witch noticed where Kite's eyes were looking. It was of no surprise and it did give her some swell of pride knowing her looks had not suffered but improved since her time here. The student did not really say what she came here for beyond that it may be something Kanoe could help with. Vague but, that was better than some of the other blatant requests she heard students say in the middle of a hallway. Her own eyes took in the woman before her. The scars added many questions though it would be rude to ask. Were these before or after coming to this island? Looked like the woman been through a war or three. She also did not recognize Kite though Kanoe was not one to go out of her way to learn about new or old students ever.

"It depends on the issue," she answered, stepping to the side and allowing Kite to enter. There was a table with chairs to sit in where Kanoe was doing her research and studying. "Would you like some tea, Kite? Water?"

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Kite steps inside, careful not to accidentally touch Kanoe while doing so. After all, this place takes everyone differently, and a touch a little too casual was the fastest, and often most precipitous way to find out. "Water please, and thankyou."

As she approaches the table, one hand rises to her forehead with a wry chuckle, "i had hoped to put this somehow delicately, but have been unable to discern a means of doing so. Bluntly it is then. Rumour has it that you are a witch, Miss Shade, of more than significant talent with the supernatural, though none spreading these rumours had information sufficient to draw conclusions of what tradition, if any, you follow."

"My own endeavours in such fields have been somewhat less precise, though were enough that those who rule here felt it necessary to seal what capacity i found to violate normal causality that they could not outright strip from me. i had resolved myself to simply do without, but of late it has come to my attention that this may not be an option."

Well, now would be the moment, wouldn't it? Even if the rumours were true, Kite couldn't truly blame Kanoe if she laughed her our of her dorm.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW

The dark witch closed and locked the door when Kite entered. It was not to trap the woman with her but rather just a precaution to avoid any unwanted interruptions. It had been some time since a student wanted assistance involving the arcane. Once behind closed doors, there was no need to beat around the bush anymore or least no need after Kite bluntly stated what she needed help with. The woman had a very... scientific way of saying it but the meaning was clear for the most part.

Kanoe briefly left for the kitchen and brought back a glass of water for Kite. "Have a seat, Kite," the witch replied, "Rumors can only convey what the general populous knows about the topic. It is not surprising that the ignorant masses would have little to say about me beyond perhaps being able to turn people into newts and toads. Unfortunately, my abilities are nowhere near such a level and my so called talent may not be enough to assist you here on the island. But I suppose we will have to find out after you tell me more then."

The witch sat down at the table as she continued. "From what you say, you are already experienced and the school took that away from you. The island itself suppresses supernatural powers like magic already yet they saw the need to seal yours anyway. From that, you may already have more power and experience than I have, Kite. So what do you hope to gain from a novice such as myself?" It was really the only logical solution she could come up with. Then again, Kanoe did not have anywhere near as big of record of chaos as Kite did so there was no need to seal her powers. But even then, the witch's pride in her powers had been smashed and trampled on by the creatures of this island several times. It was truly horrible to be reduced to the same level as ordinary victims here on Shokushu.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:34 pm

Kite did sit, smiling a bit grimly, gratefully accepting the water, "Newts and toads? If those had been the rumours i'd heard, i'd have looked elsewhere. The fundamental crux is that while i was very good at what i chose to use those abilities for, i did not have truly all that much capability, and what i did have was...instinctual, rather than practised. They suppress more than the supernatural, but...we should not discuss that."

"My experience with magical analysis is negligible at best, and so...perhaps it is better to show than tell."

Kite carefully removes her left glove, and lays her arm on the table so that Kanoe can see the katana tattooed there. "This was my most complex, and most successful Working. To physicallize a portion of my life and soul as a spiritual weapon, so that i could never truly be defenseless. It was effortless for me to draw it forth or return it to its sheathe. And, i admit, i raised hell with it. It is no great surprise they felt a need to render me tabby more than tiger. And now, well..."

Kite wads the glove into her mouth to bite down on, then takes her own hand as if to grip the hilt marked upon her palm, almost immediately, the wax seal begins to glow softly, and there is a sizzling sound like flesh smote with a hot iron, though there is no smell or smoke. After a few moments of muffled agony, Kite relents, and let's go, removing her glove from between her teeth. "And now, now that happens instead of my having a blade fuelled by my rage and hate, both of which i possess in quantity."

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:25 am
Profile YIM WWW

Kanoe listened though she was uncertain what to think of it. She has never seen magic that just summons a spiritual weapon that is made from solidified lifeforce. The witch could assume it was a physical looking blade made from mana though that still left many questions in the air. This was certainly not something she had any personal experience as her own magic was just as brutish in another fashion. As hopeless as things are, she was curious about this new magic she had the chance to see with her own eyes.

Well... See was not truly accurate as the wax seal seemed to hurt Kite when she attempted to show instead of tell. That was another she had little experience with and it worried her greatly that this was something NICE labs could do. "This would be the first time I have heard of your ability and seen a seal like that. I know some monsters who have done similar forms of magic but I never expected NICE labs to do something like this. I assumed they would use some form of technology, not actual magic to counter magic." Guess not all scientists there deny the existence of magic, she thought to herself.

"So your power is sealed," she repeated, "What exactly do you want me to do about it? My powers tend to be in the realms of fire and darkness. I have attempted a few rituals. I can attempt to study the seal but I can make not promises it would go anywhere. But even if I could remove it, what then? If whoever did this to you finds out then finds out who can remove it, well... I have already been threatened of having my powers taken from me. Even as weak as they are, they are at least... something."

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:56 am

Kite takes the chance to catch her breath and drink most of the water to recover while listening to Kanoe.

"Don't worry about promises. i know i'm talking about a long shot, there's no other kind here. And yeah, even trying to help me probably puts you at more risk, whether we succeed or not. But i need my blade back. Not to defend myself, they'd just take it away again." Kite was rather obviously unaware of her right hand rising to stroke her collar again. "Something very bad, far worse than i have ever seen before, is trying to happen. And i have to be ready before it does. Because if it does, there will not be even the delusion of safety for any of us."

"And so i need help. Everything i have tried to understand the seal with has failed, let alone trying to circumvent it. If you can discern anything from it, even if that is all... As you say, it is at least something."

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:24 am
Profile YIM WWW

Kanoe rose to her feet and went to get another glass of water for Kite as the seal apparently did a bit more damage than she thought. Discerning anything from the seal would be a challenge in itself but there were a few methods to use. But, that still left the question of why this woman was doing this. Her eyes were drawn to the gentle stroking of Kite's fingers over the black collar she wore. That was certainly not school issued. Then again, neither was the silver clasp hanging from her long braid of hair. It was not her place to pry. But if she was going to be thrown into danger for this, she needed to know more before doing anything.

"We all need things, Kite," Kanoe replied, "It is one thing for a random student to come seeking some vague inkling about magic. But what you are asking is to draw even more eyes on me than there already are. I have no idea what you are talking about but you are asking to give up what little safety I have as well as years worth of study and research. Whatever conflict you are dealing with does not involve me and with the inhibitors, who knows how sharp your sword will be. Why should I put myself at risk for your own personal rage and agenda?" Of course, Kanoe's eyes were already looking at the seal. She would try to see the threads of mana that made up the wax and enchantment. Whether she will give up such information, she was uncertain.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:55 am

Kite listens, and thinks, she doesn't know Kanoe at all. Even if she did, she was intensely averse to trying to manipulate others, preferring instead directness, or as much directness as someone of her nature could ever have.

"It's true, there's very little i can offer you in recompense. Even offering my own knowledge of transcausal force would likely do more harm than good, as it would surely draw those selfsame eyes all the faster. It could be useful, though the flame is no longer within me, i remember what i knew of its ways."

Kite sighs, debating with herself in a truly literal sense. "Someone wants to destroy this place, completely. And either they do not know or do not care, or worse, want the chaos that would unleash. Years ago, even months ago, i would have been eager to help them, which is the only reason i know their intention. But i was given something i thought impossible, and want to protect that peace i have been given...and she who gave it to me. Not from this place, but from that war."

"So it falls upon me to ask, what can i offer you? What would make the attempt worth the risk in your eyes?"

Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:16 am
Profile YIM WWW

Part of her wanted to ask who or what was trying to destroy the island. She found the concept unlikely though there were certainly many monsters and demons on the island that could probably accomplish such a task. It did not really make any sense to her but then again, most of these creatures were hardly sane to begin with. Frankly, she would be happy to destroy this place even at the cost of her own life. Her life had been lost since she set foot on this campus. Unfortunately, she had someone she cared about on the island still. If this faction or group was going after the school, her lover may be in danger due to her position as a Prefect.

The witch sighed. Well... At least she will have some new magic to look at. It was not as if her life could get much worse. She was already a slave to someone and it felt like sections of her day were being lost in the fog. "Well... Sit closer so I can look at it," Kanoe said coldly, "I doubt there is much I can do but I may be able to find what it is made of." Kite had nothing there was no point in asking for a price. She could make the woman offer her body and service like so many other students did before. But, such a price would only look poorly on her as she potentially puts her life at risk for helping this woman. The witch used her mana sight to see what threads and colors of mana flowed and made up the wax seal. With no experience with seals, she could at least see what it is made up from... hopefully.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:47 pm

Kite nodded, mouthing an all too desperate "Thankyou," as she shifted the chair around the table to position herself for Kanoe.

Sitting still was difficult, nervousness and excitement clashed, not the least of which the knowledge that if the Labs were paying attention they had been listening to the entire conversation. But better not to rupture that illusion for Kanoe, better she not know that there is nothing that can ever be hidden if only they choose to look.

With every twitch, physical or emotional, the enegy of the seal shifted wildly. Continuously in flux, continuously a near perfect obstruction to the shifting flows within Kite herself. Holding her left arm still and exposed is difficult, memory of the clamps and bracing as the machinery of the Labs had branded the seal upon her.

Hope. It seems like such a foreign emotion, and yet...there it is. There is something Kite wants, needs, other than bloodshed and the narcosis of being buried in a pile of the similarly damaged. Her fingers stroke her collar again, and the tiny current of hope passes the seal unhindered.

But then, the seal was made of Kite herself, a portion of her removed and twisted, corrupted so much as to set her eternally against herself on its reinsertion. And at the time of the separation, hope was so foreign as to not even be imaginable.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Despite the dim lighting, Kanoe could see the threads of mana clearly. It was just a matter of ignoring the natural elements around her and focusing on the woman's wrist before her. The witch took slow deep breaths, not really paying attention to Kite's nervous fidgetting. Unlike the Head Girl who owned this student, Kanoe could not sense or read emotions. Her only sense was that of magic which was not the best. But learning how to see mana itself certainly made her studies and experiments go a bit more safely and with better rewards.

The constant flicker of mana drew the witch's eye as she was able to focus on that and ignore the threads of air flowing about them. There were colors of light among a number of other unknown elements flowing towards the seal. But at the same time, contrasts of those very threads were flowing to that same place. Looking at the seal made her eyes hurt as there was never ending clash of light and color building there. So much chaos in a single point of the body made it nearly impossible to tell what threads were actually maintaining the seal. If it was just a piece of wax, there had to be something keeping Kite from just taking it off.

Kanoe closed her eyes and sighed. "I think I have seen enough," the witch said, bringing a hand to her temple. She waited a few moments before attempting to open her eyes. Stars flecked her vision as if she had been staring at a bright light or sun for a long duration. She had a slight headache as well. "The seal seems to be using your own power against you," she said softly, "The more mana you channel, the more is channeled through the seal and back at you. I cannot tell how it does this though. It could be a filter that turns the mana around and crashes against ongoing flow. There are too many clashing threads to make heads or tails of the details going on there."

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:24 pm

It is a struggle for Kite to keep her expression neutral. Hope is after all, such a traitor, guiding one to long for that which one cannot reasonably expect. A mechanism of euphoria for they who live in safety, for whom hope is not so great a folly, but here?

"Thank you," Kite breathed as almost a whisper. "It's a start, which is more than i had when i intruded upon you. i owe you a debt, and i will repay it when i can." One prisoner to another, word is more than bond, particularly when both are acquainted with the supernatural.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:21 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next