View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 7:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Black Magic Woman (Kanoe) 

Post Re: Black Magic Woman (Kanoe)
"You do not owe me anything nor do I deserve thanks," Kanoe replied softly, "You are still where you were before you came here. It looks like you are constantly trying to draw your weapon which is probably why it irritates you so much. No matter how much or how little you channel towards your tattoo, the seal will react to it and cancel it out." The witch brushed a stray strand of long black hair away from her face as she thought for a bit.

"Have you every tried just creating a similar mark outside your body and try drawing a blade from that?" Kanoe asked, "I do not know anything about your magic nor what elements are involved so I apologize if it is something ridiculous I just asked of you. Just, any attempt to make a weapon from yourself will fail as long as that seal remains on." It did not feel right to just leave things as they are. But any attempt to blindly channel into the seal could have disasterous consequences. Kanoe's powers were as they always were on this island, useless.

My Monster: Vespira
My ADD: Alexandra

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:31 am

Kite turns to Kanoe with a grim smile, "i disagree, any new information, however small, is something. The reason they felt the need to go so far as they have is that i am very good at finding the right spot to move a big obstruction with tiny levers."

"My magic... was flame and blood, mostly. Wanton passionate fury made concrete and sacrosanct. What you say is potentially possible, though the blade actually came first, born of me, and then the mark as a means of keeping it close. It still exists, just trapped in its sheathe. To make another... Possible, but abhorrent. Its creation was an act of atrocity. That was why until now i was willing to accept its loss. Until learning that dark as this place is, there are far worse things looming."

Special Agent Delivery - An intensely customizible package

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:12 am
Profile YIM WWW

"You are more... optimistic than I am," Kanoe replied to the comment. Kite was mentioning details about her magic in some places while being vague in others. Apparently whatever this magic was, it is considered dark or even evil by others. Who these others are the witch could not really say. "Well I have no clue what methods it involves so I have no basis to judge," the witch continued, "But, if you do have some proficiency in fire, perhaps you can use that to form a weapon. Unfortunately, creating physical items is not within scope of my current ability. My... lover had the ability to produce a whip made of flames though. Perhaps you can do something similar with a new blade. I wish I could say more but I am just saying what I can come up with from the bit of information you have provided."

It was one thing to offer this advice but it was a whole another matter entirely to put this advice into practice. For all she knew, Kite's ability to summon a blade was her only magical ability. It may take more time than was available to learn how to channel an element and summon it for the purpose this student needed. But, as Kite said before, every little bit helps even if they were just theories.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:37 am

Kite cannot help but laugh, "i don't think i've ever been called optimistic before." But then her smile gets a little wan as she nods, "i once did, but the fire is...gone from me. But blood always calls to blood. Difficult, as i doubt i will be permitted to undertake the process of fashioning a new...heh...problem solver." Still, it was some hope, it was an avenue to attack the problem.

"Would you mind discussing with me the way you manipulate the arcane? i suspect from what i can see that it's quite different from the semi-instinctive shapes of energy i called upon. It has ever been my nature to try to acquire any information that i can. It does not mean as much as i once thought it might, but the habit remains."

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:58 am
Profile YIM WWW

Blood did not sound like a pleasant means of forming a blade. Then again, there was iron in blood and the thought of cutting oneself to produce a weapon was less than comforting. Kite showed some curiosity towards Kanoe's magic. Most students who come to see her usually asked something about this first but it was understandable that Kite was distracted with more supposedly urgent matters. "How I cast magic?" Kanoe repeated, "Well... I chant the necessary incantations along with making the appropriate gestures as I gather mana into my hands or fingers. I learned here on the island about being able to see mana itself which made directing and weaving the threads into my complicated patterns a bit easier. Unfortunately, I am just a novice so I mostly just build up a great deal of raw elemental mana and launch it as a weapon at the monsters. I apparently have an overabundance of mana within me, giving me alot of raw power but not much in the form of finesse or control. I hope that sort of answers your question."

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Kite had no knowledge of the images her words had placed in Kanoe's mindn but had, for now, no intention of telling her that the vast majority of the blood she had worked with was blood she had spilt from others, that she had only deliberately spilled her own blood for a working once, and had no intention of feeling THAT particular guise of death enfold her again. "What kind of incantations or gestures? Do they have specific meanings for specific workings, or are they just focal aids? For me the somatic aspect has usually just been hurling some insult in order to focus my emotions on a target, usually rage, drawing it down into a single, destructive point. Perhaps a bit childish to use venal bitchiness as my equivalent of a kiai, but until they decided it was working TOO well for me, it worked shockingly well indeed. i wonder if specifically magical somatics would allow more noticeable use of what little is left? Do you notice any change in your ability to gather... Mana, you called it? Do your emotions alter the ease or difficulty in focussing it, or is it a static force for you?"

With a new curiosity to sate, Analyzer was in full swing, almost giddy at the prospect of something Completely New to learn.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Just like that, Kite was a barrage of questions one after another. Usually the witch would charge for these sorts of answers but it was not often she had company to speak with. With how the woman spoke of things on this island, it was obvious that this one had dealt with creatures much like she did. Apparently Kite used raw emotion to drive those primal forces to produce physical weapons. Unfortunately, Kanoe had no certain answers to most of Kite's questions.

"It is possible to channel without chanting anything or using any gestures but to do so requires a great deal of skill and power for perhaps a lesser result," the witch answered, "I am uncertain if the words themselves hold power in themselves or just act as a mental guide for properly channeling mana. As for the kinds, it depends on the spell really. The words require training just to pronounce correctly as saying things incorrectly can lead to wasting mana as your spell fizzles or worse the spell is miscast. As for emotions..." Kanoe paused for a few moments before continuing, "I cannot say. I have been told that witches are sexual creatures and embracing such dark lusts and desires can fuel one's magic or help perform various rituals. But it is difficult to say if this is true or just an excuse to make a witch more vulnerable to various entities. The inhibitors ensure that getting accurate readings of power nearly impossible."

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:53 pm

Kite considered Kanoe's words, nodding several times as Kanoe talked, "Then i'd infer that the words themselves somehow have significance, if it was just about focussing, then as soon as one believed one was saying them correctly, one would have the full result as soon as one merely believed oneself to be using them right. Sex can, at times, definitely act as an accelerant, a deepening of a bond to allow drawing on energy gathered by another. Consent allows greater, and more pleasurable transferrance, though is not necessary. Being forcibly used in such a fashion is extremely unpleasant." Weapons-grade understatement there. "What is a 'miscast'? Is it a function of control? Or more related to external disruption?l"

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:43 am
Profile YIM WWW

The purple haired woman repeated really what the witch had gathered on her own for the most part. Kite did mention how sex could bring power so maybe the monsters who said similar were not so far off. Pia had a similar ability, drawing power from sex. Unfortunately, Kanoe had no real idea of how to use such power to its fullest. The mere thought of channel something like that sent a tingling sensation through her body. Thankfully, the talk about sex was brief. Being on this island, sex was a common topic naturally.

"When casting," Kanoe began, "You are weaving raw elemental power into something more. It is like mixing chemicals in a way. You weave patterns to form various spells and enchantments. If something is off, the spell could fail but other times... the spell can act in unpredictable ways. Mix the wrong chemicals and it may explode, magic can have a similar outcome. The mana can surge back at you, causing significant harm or produce some other completely undesirable effect. Usually this is due to lack of control, skill, or by being distracted. I suppose another caster could force a spell to fail by interfering with the weaving and channeling process. So to answer your question, it can be both an issue with the self or some outer forces hindering you."

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:18 am

Kite smiled. It was not a nice smile. It was an 'i've worked out a way of hurting something' smile. "I wonder how -much- of a disruption would be necessary, in most cases? Even if i can no longer do anything terribly useful with it, to pull some portion of energy out of a spell already in progress... That could potentially be an effective measure."

"i wonder if it would be possible to develop a working designed expressly for that purpose? A targeted disruption and siphon, if you will. That would surprise all sorts of...people." Kanoe obviously knew, obviously had seen. Eyes don't get that weary in the young by many ways, and here? There was really only one of those ways present. For now. Hopefully the war would not come. But even though she knew, well, neither of them wanted to talk about it, wanted to bring up endless memories. There were four eyes here that had seen far too much.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:45 am
Profile YIM WWW

"If you are considering doing such a thing to one of the magic wielding creatures on the island, I doubt it will work," the witch replied, "Their powers do not seem hindered and it seems every one of them are able to channel as naturally as breathing, weaving magic with a mere thought and without the need of incantation. The only possible way is to see the mana and try to disturb it then but would require faster channeling than is possible for novice mages. It would be like stopping someone from pulling the trigger of a gun when they are outside your reach. Siphoning away the mana would have much the same issue. You are essentially trying to force a flow of pure power to go another direction and towards you. With the mana being closer to them, it is easier for him, her, or it to maintain control."

She doubts Kite meant to use such ideas on people but there was not much use of calling those horrible monsters people. They both knew what this island was capable of. Still though... "My apologies," she added, "But I am merely only stating facts. Magic is unfortunately ineffective against most beings here. They either know magic themselves and can easily counter or they are durable enough to endure it. Some do neither and merely strike when you least suspect it. It is... unpleasant."

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:02 am

"Magic -alone- is often ineffective. They win only when we give up." Kite almost snarled, but then, few things enraged her like the concept of surrendering to an enemy. "Anything can be a tool, anything can be a lever. They want to think themselves gods above us, but they are made of flesh and CAN be hurt!" Kite stops suddenly, as if realizing what she's doing, leaning back to put a little more space between herself and Kanoe. "i'm sorry. i shouldn't have let myself get so incensed. But i do believe what i said. As long as we are willing to fight, to do more than lay there and take it when they catch us, they have not yet won."

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:14 am
Profile YIM WWW

It would not be the first time a student had an emotional outburst when speaking about this island and its many inhabitants. Kanoe's eyes did widen a bit a the sudden change in Kite though it was brief. The witch waited until the student calmed down and leaned back once more. "And if they are not made of flesh?" The witch let that question hang. She did not like the fact this woman dare accused her of giving up without a fight. She had no clue what she been through. Kanoe encountered creatures made of metal, liquid, and even pure chaos. Those were not things you could just cut and hurt through physical means. Even with all those factors, the one that completely crushed her was a female creature of flesh. She was now hopelessly bound as was her lover. All she could do was wait for graduation and even then... What would happen to her?

The witch was silent. Her eyes were just gazing at one of the flickering candles on the table. She could tell this woman about her situation. But what would that do? She did not want anyone's pity. It was not like this student could save her anyway. Talking about it would only open scars she preferred not to think about anymore. She lost and she accepted that. All she could do was 'take it' as Kite mentioned. Kanoe felt a bit tired after having that thought roll over her in her head.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:31 am

Kite had no idea she'd caused such an injury, having been, in her mind, speaking in general terms rather than specific, "It's never mattered to me. Fight metal with acid, fight energy with hunger. Fight stone with a hammer. ...i used to make bombs a lot. They took that out of my mind, too. Those fuck -everybody- up. I haven't seen plant-born ones recently, maybe fire was getting a little too easy to get ahold of for their liking. It if can feel pleasure, it can feel pain. It can be hurt." Her fingers trace the cuts in her gloves unconsciously, "Even killed. Anything that lives can die."

Again her fingers rise to her collar, "With a hand on my hilt, i will never surrender. Even the wounds they leave when they rip me apart, i will find a way to use."

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:56 am
Profile YIM WWW

With her ability to create bolts of flame and shadow that can have similar power as some bombs, Kanoe could refer to examples of why Kite's methods would fail. But that was not her place. If this student wanted to remain confident and cling to some sort of hope she could not see, so be it. There was no point explaining things further. This student was out on a mission apparently, much like Camryn. All she could do was provide some bits of guidance and watch while serving the creature that bound her. There was at least some comfort in knowing that she had already lost and at least her servitude had some benefits.

"Well, you have made your choice," Kanoe replied, "Do as you wish and I wish you the best of luck in your conflict. Is there anything else I can assist you with? Would you like some more water?" She had barely noticed how long they had been talking and the untouched glass before Kite. The witch could use a drink herself to be honest.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next